View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I've got Morel's in the Olds, they have about 30K miles on them, they are fine. Couple have light ticks when hot, but other than that, no issues.

IMO it's rare you will see an actual roller failure, unless there has been some type of abuse or other issue that accelerates wear. And when I say abuse, I mean like lack of oil changes or poor maint/adjustment. Other issues, like poor alignment/pushrods, rocker bind, etc.

Too many are gun shy when it comes to rollers, MANY have had success with them, and not just Pontiacs.

Agreed, and I'm betting the few cases we might read about, we really don't know the back story. Usually there's an underlying problem.

I have one of my hydraulic roller engines here, Comps rollers, that has been together for about 15-16 years now. No ticking, no issues. I've never had a valve cover off since it was installed. It's a .640 lift cam I run on the street everywhere. I'd have to look at the paper work to find the spring seat and open pressures, but the engine still buzzes to 6300 cleanly and runs fantastic.

Like Steve said, correct spring pressures are critical.