View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
did you try and fired it up today after it cooled off?I'm no expert but it's not uncommonfor a older hot Pontiac engine to show 0 oil pressure at idle.my fresh engine doesn't do it but my old engine does it all the time and has for a few years.I just rev it up a little and it comes right back up
Well... Considering that I have to pretty much get the engine out just to do the pan. And considering that if I'm getting zero when I never had below 40psi before now. I'm pretty much going to at least replace pump, drive rod and pickup tube. So I'm not terribly keen to turn the engine over again until I get it out and see what is what.

There are a lot of practical difficulties but I may or may not have someone to borrow an engine hoist from (it could be something completely unsuitable but I'll have to wait until I can see it).

In the meantime I need an engine stand to do the work. I see there are $80-$90 stands with a simple handle for rotating the engine and $240 ones with a geared rotation handle. Now clearly the geared one would be nicer but I'm more keen on saving the cash if the cheaper one is usable. I'll need the extra cash for bearings, gaskets, shipping...

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod