View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up Post-op report....

I had the procedure done this morning. I am home and resting comfortably, with surprising little pain. I can walk (gingerly) without crutches.

As it turns out, the tear was in the lateral meniscus"red zone," and was healing. No suturing inside the knee was required, just some debridement and sucking out several pieces that had torn off and were floating around freely, which according to my surgeon, at risk to lock up my knee if they wound up in the wrong place. The doc also said I have a fair amount of osteoarthritis in the joint, which can only be addressed by a knee replacement, if necessary, later.

I was out for the procedure, but according to my sweetie, it took around an hour. I cleared recovery about 1 PM (Surgery started about 8) and arrived home about 2:30. I had to use crutches to walk into the house, but am now ambulating without them. I can't shower for 3 days nor soak the dressing, and the doc said she doesn't think I'll need PT.

I had this done at the VA hospital in Palo Alto. It's about 40 miles from my house, so we were offered an overnight stay in "Defender's Lodge," a first-rate hotel on the premises funded by a consortium of defense contractors. There is no charge and they treat you like gold. How cool is that?!

Also, my surgeon, (Constance Chu, MD, FACS) is a 1983 West Point Grad(!), and Harvard Med 1993, now a professor of Orthopedics at Stanford Hospital. So, no worries about discipline and education there, eh?

All in all, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Should be able to drive by Saturday.

Many thanks to all my Pontiac buddies who provided advice. Much appreciated.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts