Thread: Running on E85
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

It's nothing but basic laws of physics, it REQUIRES heat to effectively burn a lean mixture. 12, 13, 14 to 1 or higher A/F ratios are well below the LEL at ambient temperature. They need to be heated up significantly to burn efficiently, hence why compression is required and a spark to ignite it. Nothing but basic stuff with reciprocating internal combustion engines, but for some reason folks seem to think keeping everything colder will improve this scenario. That's mostly propaganda from "hot rodding" stuff and nothing could be further from the truth. If you want maximum efficiency heat is your friend here, and I'm talking about engine temps, oil temps and temperatures of the associated parts, etc........

As it relates to this topic we are introducing a fuel that is harder to burn, contains less energy, etc. So steps are needed to effectively use it. I still see folks doing pretty good with it once they get thru the learning curve and nail down the tune, so it is a viable option for those that have it available. For myself it isn't on the table simply because it's not readily available here, and I've tuned my high compression engine for flawless performance on currently available pump gas.......Cliff
I realize that Twooldgoats (Jim) is "Old School", runs Methanol, and is just plain "OLD",
but you are not exactly young either Cliff.
Maybe you can explain the Physics to him sometime so that he understands that for maximum efficiency (Best Power) you DO NEED some heat in the combustion process.

Tom V.

ps Great post by the way.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.