View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We received some Hydraulic roller lifters from Hylift/Johnson. These are some that they are starting to make for Pontiac. Only Problem is, I think they are making them from Chevy lifter bodies because the oil band is not in the correct location for Pontiac. So, I installed a roller cam[this one is a solid roller since that's all I have in roller for Pontiac at the moment] to check to see where the oil band fell. This cam has a .390 lobe on it, much bigger than most mild hydraulic roller cams. The base circle of this cam is 1.050"", and the base circle of the cam I would like to use would be around 1.135", so the oil band will be higher up on the smaller cam.
With the smaller base circle cam, the oil band did not come out the bottom of the lifter bore. It was about 1/8" from coming out. With the larger base circle cam, I don't see an issue running them. Here are some pics.

I just wish they could make some with actual Pontiac bodies instead of just Pontiac link bars. I'm so tired of hydraulic lifter issues nowadays. Noisy lifters has been an issue for a while now. Lunati says they get more noisy lifters complaints from Pontiac owners than anyone else. Maybe that's because they buy lifters from someone that has some parts made in Mexico, and the tolerances are not good. At any rate, I'm tired of spending my time and energy, trying to fix their problems. It's not just Lunati either. Hylift/Johnson is the only hydraulic lifter still made in America, and I can tell you this, none of the major cam companies get lifters from Hylift/Johnson. Some of these lifters made elsewhere, won't even oil the rockers because of a metering system that flat out does not work! How they sell parts like this is beyond me. I hope these lifters will be an option for us Pontiac guys now.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles