View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did say the Hughs BOP unit was OK, but it's not on par with the 13" Continental unit anyplace. The one we tested was the BOP "25", not the 30 BTW.

It's nice when I actually get a chance to test parts, because until we had one in here and got to thrash on it some, all I had to go on was the info folks posted about them.

If a guy is just building a "driver", and wants a stock type large diameter converter that's a little "looser" everyplace than a stock unit, by all means, get the Hugh's BOP unit. Unless you've got 3.08 or taller gearing, I would NOT recommend the Continental 10" unit, it's just not the right converter for those applications.....IMHO.

It's really a shame Continental no longer offers the 13" units. They were like the L-88 GM units on steroids, and had anti-ballooning plates in them as well. Kris loved the 13" units, and working with that much housing he could really move a lot of fluid and get them to lock up nearly solid above the stall speed. It just took too many full size units to get all the parts needed to build one, and they ran out of good cores. With the cost of scrap/cores, and the fact that they haven't made those converters for decades, they just ran out of the parts needed to build them.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),