View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Dave thanks for posting . Even though my RAIV motor liked the reverse split cam my E head 500" with a 268/272 solid roller liked tighter lash on the exhaust telling me it would have liked more on the exhaust. My 470/409 did not like more ratio on either side or tighter loose lash.

I think unless you put multiple cams in the same motor, try different ratios on the same motor, tighten loosen lash on the same motor you really don't know what it really likes. Why the stockers have shelves full of cams(can convertors )
I learned many years ago that just because you find a result in one combo doesn't mean it applies to others, that's what keeps things interesting and makes you realize you will never know it all which is great!!! I found with our 65 GTO race car years ago that the optimum ICL changed when I went from 1 3/4 to 2" headers. Just changing the headers didn't do much, but revisiting the cam timing showed the cam wanted to be backed up 4 deg from where it was optimum with 1 3/4".

I've been involved with several NHRA Stock Eliminator racers and they all use tighter lobe seps to produce some impressive power with unported heads, but a HUGE factor why these cars perform as they do is that everything is optimized in the entire drivetrain which requires $$$$. One customer with a legal 77 bird has gone 11.27 @ 117mph with a completely legal 350 Pontiac and only .363" valve lift, but I think he has more in the trans than the entire engine!! so you can't really compare what these cars do to your average street/strip car.