View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
It would be interesting to compare the Stump Puller and OF cams with iron vs. aluminum heads to see which cam works better with which head.
I can't say that I've done the test back to back on the same engine the same day, but I've had enough of these combo's on the dyno that I feel I can answer that question to some degree. The "old faithful" cam was designed primarily for our ported aluminum heads and came about after testing a number of lobe configurations including running a single pattern 236/236 using the intake lobe we use on the OF cam on both the intake and exhaust which was down about 15hp over the current 236/245 we use. The idea behind the "stump puller" was a cam designed to work well with our ported cast iron heads, cast iron intake and RA/HO exhaust manifolds. I've run both cams in many iron headed as well as aluminum headed combo's.

With the cast iron headed engines the power difference with everything else being the same is 10hp or less with similar torque peak numbers. The power curve is produced at a lower rpm with the SP cam and the vac. at idle is about 3-5" higher with the SP. Now if you were running a Torker II and headers there might (I doubt it would be much) be a bit more of a spread but I haven't had an iron headed engine on the dyno with a Torker II for a lot of years now as the demand for more hp while maintaining a stock appearance only seems to be getting stronger. When it comes to ported aluminum heads, the difference in power is 30-50hp more with the OF cam depending on which intake is used.

I always like to look at the entire drivetrain combo and application before making a cam recommendation as more hp on the dyno doesn't necessarily mean a quicker car.

Hope this info helps