View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lots of good info cliff, thanks for educating us all. however i do have a question regarding these "bigger" cams you recommend for 455+ engines, i always see you mention the heads are ported to benefit from these cams in your examples, does the same logic apply to NON-ported head engines?

reason i ask is because i posted a similar thread recently asking about what HR cam is best for 100% street engine with stock 6x heads, majority of the replies i got said to use the stump puller or old faithfull size cams... yet, SD & butler both said to NOT use those cams or anything that big because the heads dont flow enough to benefit from them & will require longer valves set up on a taller installled height. & ironically butler & comp both suggest that xr276 comp cam for a stock head 9-9.5 462 (stroked 400) engine... both said a lower compression engine doesnt need the bleed off of a wider lsa cam.

just trying to understand the reasoning why one would want such a big cam with stock heads, low(er) compression & lower stall speed (~2500) or does this "big cam" logic only apply to guys with ported heads & 3000+ stall speed? my understanding is you want to match the cam to the rest of the cars specs, in otherwords dont overcam it just because it may make more max hp on a dyno if the rest of the car wont benefit from or perform well on a bigger cam.