View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Funny, when I purchased my engine (461 stroker, 300+ E-heads, approx. 10.0:1 compression with reported 1000 miles on it) it had the XR276HR cam in it. Chassis dyno from the previous owner showed approximately 340 hp at 4800 rpm on the chassis dyno with about 410 ft. lbs. of torque (this was with an Edelbrock Performer intake). I didn't run it that way as I wanted to have it 0-decked and to check out the bearings, bores, etc. When the bearings were pulled, they showed accelerated wear, but the rest of the engine looked beautiful. I can't help but think the original cam choice with the resultant deto may have attributed to bearing wear. I replaced the XR276HR cam with the OF on a 114 LSA and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and it now idles cleanly and fume-free, cruises beautifully (with better fuel mileage than some of my newer cars thanks to the 2004r trans- even using an Edelbrock 800 cfm 1413 carb) and accelerates seamlessly and brutally. Cold engine? Pump the accelerator twice, turn the key and drive away-no blipping the throttle and waiting it to warm up. Hot engine shut off? Twist the key and drive away. The engine has been the farthest thing from fussy.

Last edited by tpssonic; 06-02-2015 at 11:28 AM.