View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
years ago a guy at pate swap meet that dealt in emblems (don't remember his name) had a discussion about formulas having the 400 emblem on the trunk lid. I dont recall ever seeing one that I "assumed" was a real deal from the factory.
would the emblem on a 69 firebird work???
it looks cool anyway and should have been done. just like putting a ra4 decal on the trunk lid of 69 and 70 gto's
I agree it would have been a nice touch - especially since the spoiler was not available on the Formula 400 model.

Sometimes, while figuring this stuff out, you are forced to read between the lines;
My PHS shows that the "Formula 400" model was actually called "Firebird 400" in 1970 - which is what the 67-69 cars were called;

With this in mind, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to deduce that the trunklid "400" badge was conceived as a 'carryover' thing to denote the relation between '69 "Firebird 400", and a '70 "Firebird 400";
Since the name was changed to "Firebird Formula 400" - with the intent of the model being subsequently called "Firebird Formula" (with a base 350-2bbl engine for insurance purposes) - it would make sense that the "Firebird 400" badge would be dropped - which is probably why few, if any, car were built with this badge...

But I do like the badge;
And would be very interested if anyone has compared the legit '70 badge to an earlier one.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)