View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
DITTO. Muffler shops are not good at Manifold Removal. Most are hacks and dont work on anything above the head pipe. They go after the quick in and out pipes and muffler job. It takes finesse and the correct tools to remove them without breaking them off. If they dont turn out without enough effort to break them loose, stop right there and grind off the heads, pull the manifold away from the head, then cut off the remaining portion, just like mentioned above.
That's a pretty broad statement covering all muffler and exhaust shops and labeling them all hacks. That may be your experience, however someone that deals with rusted thin exhaust bolts on a daily basis is going to be much more skilled at removing them than someone that does it a few times in their lifetime.

Any reputable muffler shop will have better removal tools and more skilled technicians than someone doing it at home for the first time. Sorry, I don't agree with the hack statement as I've worked for and known many other people that have owned as well as worked at muffler shops that aren't hacks.

I've removed more broken, rusted, corroded bolts in 45 years of wrenching than most people on here ever will. When I was 20 I worked at a muffler shop for about 6 months and got most of my training removing exhaust bolts without breaking them off in the manifold or head at that shop. I also perfected removing broken bolts that someone else broke off at home trying to save themselves money by doing their exhaust themselves. After they break the bolts off, then they want someone else to get it out for them. Been there, done that, too many times to count.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated