View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '04 Grand Prix Road Noise

Trying to diagnose a noise from my GP.

Had a rim wobble that caused lots of vibration. Car always had a harsh ride, when it was new, I blamed the O.E. BFG tires. Seemed a little better when I replaced the tires a few years ago. But as those tires wore out, still got lots of vibration.

Just before replacing the tires this time, I wore the front tires to where steel belts were exposed on the inner edge. I had just started hearing a new whine, checked the tires and saw the steel. So I figured that was the source of the new noise.

Got new tires mounted. I told the shop that a shop that balanced the tires last time (probably 3 years ago) showed me a small "ding" backside of one wheel. Wasn't obvious what caused it, just made balancing difficult. No flats ever in this car. Figured what they showed me on that rim was related to all the vibration I get (dash and roof rattles that come and go but drive me nuts) and the harsh ride that I felt the car has always had. But I did nothing about it.

So this time, the shop showed me the offending wheel, how it wobbled while being spun.

I decided to find a reconditioned wheel and fix this thing properly.

Meanwhile, drove it home with the new tires and I hear road noise like I get in my Jeep Wrangler with very deep tread.

I first thought it was due to the new tires. But checked on line, these tires, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2, seem to get high marks for quietness, didn't find anybody with a noise complaint. The more I thought about it, the more I figured something just isn't right.

I even wondered if the new noise that began just before I got the new tires wasn't entirely due to the exposed steel belts. Maybe whatever is making the noise now started making it just before I got the new tires.

I just got the reconditioned wheel mounted. Tech checked the wheel on their machine, told me it was near perfect, easy to balance. They are just a tire shop but they did rock the front wheels for any play or looseness, didn't sense any. I had my fingers crossed that the new wheel would solve the noise.

But on the drive home, I'm still getting the road noise "whine". Becomes audible to me (windows closed) at about 20-25 mph.

When I turn the wheel to the right, the tone changes, becomes somewhat lower pitch.

When I turn to the left, I don't sense a change in tone.

Best I can tell, coming from the front.

Anybody know what the issue might be?

Based on the previous wear, I need an alignment (wearing on the inner edges). But figure I want to fix any issue before I get it aligned.

I have a suspicion I know what the problem is, but hoping somebody knows for sure what the likely culprit is.