View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would upgrade to the 1350 yokes when you have the new driveshaft made so you sleep better at night. I did this many years ago and the driveshaft has been fine. It still loosens up the rear U-joint after a couple of years of drag racing, putting a new one it before the next outing as it has developed about .010" of end play.

Even with more gear and converter there isn't a lot of improvements waiting with this particular combination, IMHO. I've already ran over 121mph with mine in good air and the engine was only turning just past 5000rpm's.

When I did the tire swap from 28" to 26" tires a few years ago, NOTHING improved anyplace other than I picked up nearly 300rpms on the top end of the track.

Sure gear AND converter would improve 60' times if you can get it to hook, which may be worth a couple tenths in ET at about the same MPH. It wouldn't be nearly as fun to drive on the street and is not worth the trade-off.

My car acts and drives like a 15 second car till you get to the track, smooth idle, strong off idle and PLENTY of power in the "normal" driving range. Seldom any need to rev the engine beyond 2400rpm's or so to keep up with traffic.

The power from this particular combination is more "locomotive" like with no real rush of power anyplace, it just pulls really hard from the instant you load the engine will you decide to shift it. It's a proven combination, very impressive, and quite popular as it should be.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),