View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, have found a couple places that suggest the 3 lamp choices were the Signal-Stat 145 or the Tung-Sol 323.

The Tung-Sol 323 seems to have been painted yellow (if they were painting them in '64), otherwise looks about the same as the Tung-Sol 224 that was painted Blue. Same marking on the top as the Tung-Sol 224 except adds "3 LAMP" under the "SAE".

You'll go crazy trying to make sense of the GM p/ns associated with the vendor p/ns using the various MPC resources.

I think that some of the descriptions may have gotten screwed up as the various GM p/ns were superseded.

After much researching, I believe the original '64 Lemans was supposed to get a 3 Lamp Tung-Sol 323 or a Signal-Stat 145.

The Tung-Sol may have been painted Yellow. The date code format was YWW, so that 412 would decode as 1964, 12th week.

The original '64 Tempest & Tempest Custom was supposed to get a 2 Lamp Tung-Sol 224 or a Signal-Stat 144, the Tung-Sol may have been painted Blue.

The Signal-Stat flashers may also have been color coded. In the '65 F-85 Assembly Manual it lists the 383638 and the 383639 both as "FLASHER ASSY (BLUE COVER)". Couple that with the '65 Corvair Assembly Manual illustrating the 383638 as the Signal-Stat style and the 383639 as the Tung-Sol style, I conclude that both of these were color coded Blue, so I assume that the 383636 and the 383637 would have both been color coded Yellow.

The color coding was probably done to help the installers quickly distinguish between them. Not sure if over-the-counter replacements were color coded, at least for the metal cans. Tung-Sol changed to a plastic cover at some point and it looks like they retained the same color coding, perhaps even for the over-the-counter replacements.

Bill, if you are convinced and would like a Yellow metal T-S 323, Chicago Corvette is selling one for $40, doesn't indicate the date code. I think it may be a used flasher.