Thread: My Restoration
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went to the shop today and removed the carb. Its an Edlebrock 140x (I dont really remember- its a 750 elec. choke). I took it appart and checked/cleaned everything. Everything looked brand new because the last time I ran it years ago, I ran it until it was dry and the engine stalled.

So I pretended it was dirty and cleaned everything anyhow, blowing through the circuits with compressed air/carb cleaner, etc. I took the floats out and tossed them in a pail full of parts cleaner- they floated for 15 mins with no issues. I checked the clearance and everything is fine. I put it all back together, and put it back on the car.

I replaced the gas-fouled plugs with brand new ones and it started right up...then flooded again seconds later.

This is a catastrophe. The carb is defective somehow (I had this same problem in 2007, but attributed it to a stuck float) I have to get out of the shop, and a roll-back cannot get up the steep slope to my house. The car refuses to go, so it will now have to be dumped on the street with a cover till the county tags it for towing.

Maybe this is where this story ends.