Thread: My Restoration
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Over the weekend, I got a half-day in, but it was wholly disasterous. Also, I got some time in during the week. I'll cover it all in one post.

First I replaced the thermostat housing gasket with no issues, and put everything related back together. The I went to replace the fuel pump and discovered that, while the pump is identical, the bolt holes are too small(?). Anyhow, I quickly drilled larger holes using the old ones as pilot holes. Between tension from the fuel-pump eccentric and the lack of access, getting the rear bolt in the pump was time consuming and difficult. I finally realized this is one case where heavily tightening one bolt makes the other easier to start. After putting everything back together, I still had no fuel pressure.

I decide to take a break from this, and worked on fashioning a new brake line from a pre-fab one (the new copper alloy lines). This is the "feed" from the Master to the splitter for the calipers. After bending it into shape (using the old one as a guide), I realized the fitting is a step smaller and will not work. The quest for an adapter begins. I left feeling unhappy.

The next day at the shop, I unhooked the fuel line from the pump and blew into it (let the Puns begin!). I heard a whisting sound from the back of the car. I wrapped a piece of thin plastic from a shopping bag around the union of the line and the fuel tank pickup then blew again to see if I could hear the bag crinkle or move. nothing. I plugged up the vapor return line at the tank, the vent, the neck vent, and put on the cap then tried again. Now I have back pressure. Even though I have some 4 gallons of fuel in the tank, it seems like the fuel is below the pick-up. Bad tolerances from China? Unsure I go to the gas station and get 5 more gallons of fuel.

I put virtually all of it into the tank then try blowing again and get the whistling sound again. I am really confused now and repeat the process. Same deal. I put the cap on the tank and try again; now I hear bubbling...but it doesnt stop after I do. Realizing whats about to happen, I move aside just as fuel starts pouring out of the hose, then plug it up to the pump. Problem solved, but I cannot explain what actually happened. Feel free to explain if you do.

I start the car on gravity feed just to be sure the pump is pumping, and see fuel gushing past the in-line filter into a catch-can. I hook the pump up and get my timing light ready. So, I start the car and within about 20 seconds, it stalls and won't even hit anymore.

I thought maybe it was the coil, but after a lengthy diagnosis, it turns out the engine is now flooding with raw fuel. Further, it appears the pressure of the fuel pump has created this condition where the gravity feed did not. Switching it back and 'clearing it out', the car runs very, very poorly so I shut down as I know what to expect (and don't want to wash out the cylinders): the plugs are wet with gas. Apparently, the pump "discovered" a problem with the carb. I hope it's just a float.

Quite unhappy now, I turn my attention to the brake line problem. I couldn't find the adapter I needed so plan B is cut off the small fitting and hope I can make a decent flare with my crap tool vs. the softer copper alloy. However, I cannot find the tubing cutter. Since I almost never use it, I cannot believe it's missing. I spend the next hour cleaning the shop and searching for it- not found.

I decide to leave in disgust. At home, I have 2 large, powerful margaritas (fresh lime, Patron, and triplesec only), and try to forget the morning happened.

Till next time...