View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many years ago mom started a process where you could "claim" items. You just went and asked her for something, and if it had not been claimed yet, she would put a label on it with your name. On the day we disbursed her stuff, the labeled stuff was given out first and did not come out of your share. The next thing we addressed was stuff we had each given to her, it was to be returned to the giver. For example, one brother had bought her a nice gas BBQ, so that went back to him, etc.... When I arrived at the house my sisters had bags lined up in front of the living room fireplace. (Same as our Christmas stockings had been for years). There was a bag for each of us. Inside were personal items we had each given to mom over the years. Every birthday card, school project, or mothers day card I had ever given my mom was there. Every report card from K-8th grades was there. (I always thought I started being a goof-off in high school, but according to my report cards it started much earlier). The hospital bill for my birth was there. In 1958 it cost my parents $167.00 for my birth. The insurance paid $50.00 and they paid for the rest in three installments. My baby book was there, listing everything I did daily for the first year of my life. I can't believe she kept all this stuff for all eight of us. Yes, I should be so organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Cool story. When my mom died and we were moving her stuff out, we found a file folder in her bureau drawer for each child with significant stuff in it; our birth certificates, birth announcements, and each of us had the front section of the local paper for the day we were born.

And on the bottom of each heirloom (if you will) was a piece of masking tape with the name of the child she wanted to have it.

I should die so organized.