View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kind of thought the same thing, but I just didn't have the energy or inclination to argue what I have seen on cars in the field as opposed to the printed word. The guy I sold the pulley to insisted it was wrong wrong wrong so he sent it back. The printed material that was quoted seemed to back him up. He swore up and down it was from a 71 or later. Of all the Pontiac pulleys that I have seen and still own, this is the only one that I recollect being of this odd configuration.
Now granted I actually have more than one of these and I distinctly remember which cars I took each of them off of.
Others might remember in an earlier post I asked if they simply measured differently when indicating 1/2". Although I didn't state it, I wondered if that 1/2" had something to do with depth as opposed to actual width. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I figured by now that some other guys with '64 ac cars would chime in one way or the other as to whether it was 3/8" wide or 1/2" wide.

Again, I don't have anything to base my findings except of observations of actual parts, not books that tell of what might be as opposed to what really happened. My observations indicate 3/8" wide groove on the a/c compressor also. I offer the picture of my car. It is far from correct, and far from original and is a Fremont car, but you can clearly see that the belt fits perfectly and measures out as 3/8" and the groove is not close to 1/2". (from the 1" mark on the tape to 1 3/8") It should be noted that this is of course not the factory compressor, so maybe those had a 1/2" wide groove. This compressor does match the other 1/2 dozen that I have kicking around.

Now if someone comes along and shows me an actual 64 water pump pulley with 1/2" wide groove I will believe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140514_181031_019.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	366002