View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default Here's what I have done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Paw View Post
Have you installed thermocouples for all 8 cylinders with your external plumbing, in order to verify that you have in fact lowered/equalized temps? Routing coolant from the very back of each head directly to the water crossover makes my think that may be tricking a temp gage.

Thermocouples should be installed in the heads for each cylinder centered on the exhaust side and monitored simultaneously. Some data would prove your system.
Here's what I have done starting Twenty Years Ago, on Chevrolet and Pontiac Applications. I've monitored coolant temperatures on both banks of the engine. At the water crossover/manifold area, at the sensor location in the cylinder heads between cylinder's #1 & #3 and #6 & #8 and also at the coolant outlet locations located at the rear of the intake flanges.

I've done this on "Siamesed Cylinder" Blocks and on "Non Siamesed Cylinder" Blocks. I've also done this with and without the additional coolant lines that I speak of.

I've built, disassembled and inspected Racing Engines that are equipped with the coolant lines and I've built, disassembled and Inspected Racing Engines without the additional coolant lines.

My opinion is that I'll never build another Racing Engine without paying strict attention to the cooling system again. NEVER....

Now, as I mentioned in the very first Post in this Thread, this is for Information Purposes Only. If you doubt what I've Posted then by ALL MEANS, Ignore it and move on. But, ask yourself a few questions first.

First, why has EVERY Automotive Manufacturer Re-Engineered their Cooling Systems as the Engine's Efficiency and Output has Increased over the Last 20 Years?
Secondly, why can Engines Tolerate Higher Compression Ratios than they ever could in the Past?
Lastly, why are so many of the Latest "Racing Cylinder Heads" coming with an Elaborate "Cast Aluminum Cooling Manifold" that attaches below the Intake Runners and Allows Coolant to Flow out of the Cylinder Heads in Multiple Locations along the Deck Surface of the Cylinder Head?

This is MY OPINION and Yours may vary......

Have a Good One,
Larry S.

----------