View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinanigins XD View Post
Engine size: It's the original 326 block that someone bored out to 389. My friend measured it all when we took apart the motor.
But I'm not keeping the old motor, needs too much work. I'm actually going today to look at a 69 428 motor and TH400 tranny the guy is selling out of his firebird. I'd rather go with the 4 speed, buy my dad decided he wanted to keep it instead. Supposedly as a spare if his six speed breaks (which won't happen cause he wont drive it).

If the leaf springs don't work, I'll just go with coils, although I've seen other people manage to do it. I am picking up an S10 rear end Friday and selling the one from the 69 Lemans. Already ordered the leaf spring kit from summit, getting ready to take all the measurements and align everything correctly (having a few more experienced friends helping me out with all of this stuff)

One item of note, I agree with everything Doug has stated, but if you are dead set on leaf springs, on the issue of rear spring mounts and where you shackle will fall on the "offset" frame rail I will offer this,

Go on-line and look up Landrum spring, these guys cater to the roundy-rounder and race world, in the past I have use their rear spring "slider mount" and it has worked out well.

I offer this suggestion as it would rectify two issues, first it raises your spring mounting point and therefore will lower the rear of the car,

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, you could weld, or bolt these to your frame rails and even thou the one side is offset, I 'm sure that it would be far easier as you are mounting this to the bottom side of the frame rail rail, so you don't have to worry about where your shackle would fall, because you will not have one.

Just something to consider as this would be my preferred mounting method with leafs springs.

Stan