View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Suspended

The W-body cars have a lot of problems with the rear disc brakes. The owners don't use the E-brakes & then the calipers become stuck in postion which cause the pads to extend all the way so there is very little pad , so you end up with no brakes. You will have to take the rear brakes apart & replace the rear calipers & pads , make sure the E-brake cables are free & replace them if there not. Then as the instructions say in the owners manual you must SET your E-BRAKE daily so the rear brakes will stay in proper adjustment. The rear disc brakes ONLY adjust with the constant use of the E-brake. The E-brake adjuster is built into the E-brake parts so if there not used your rear brakes will not adjust. I know your going to say well I thought backing up adjusted them,,,,,, WRONG that hasn't been true since the OLD style drum brakes. Most all cars adjust through the E-brake now. Be perpared to spend a bunch of money as the rear calipers are a bit on the salty side but it has to be done to correct her problem. When I was still on the line we did this all the time to fix the W-body cars rear disc brkae problems, it's normal. It is also very dangorus to drive it that way as the calipers may seize up while driving & lock the rear brakes while going down the road, not good at 50-60 miles per hour. Thats why the ABS light is on to. If they sieze it will also brake the ABS wires off the backing plate & cost a bunch more money. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is the fix. I've seen it thousands of times, literly.