View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Steve... this may be of interest... I was drilling a scrap 6x head just below valve cover rail and between the outboard center bolt.... there is a "vein" cast on the centerbolt boss that extends out into the water cavity almost to where the "cooling mod" hole is. I would guess its there to help pull heat away? CV1 heads have a similar feature cast in which IS intended for that purpose.

I drilled along the entire rail looking to see if I could plumb reverse cool similar to the water tubes in the 55-59 heads... seems I can get similar effect that way... 9 holes @ 3/8 id is about same total area as hose id of the early timing cover... and can get close to each valve plus add the extra feed in front of the centerbolt... would be like plumbing a fuel injector rail. Water can exit out the ends on manifold side of head. Very little water actually flows thru the early blocks.

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/EngineCooling/index.htm for anyone wanting to see exactly how the 55-59's were reverse cooled and the changes made for "conventional" cooling in 1960.

Hey Bruce, could you get a few pictures of where you drilled?

I have been thinking of trying what you might be doing.

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!