View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
I am more of a body/paint guy than an engine guy but I have been toying with the idea of stroking the 350 in one of my cars for additional TQ/HP rather than swapping engines (source of many debates I know). Would you explain a bit more what machining to existing crank, deck, piston wall clearance and BBC rods would be needed to use these pistons. What additional parts? I assume using the stock 350 (4") crank you get the additional C.I.'s from the longer 6.8"/special piston combo?
I understand the alternative would be a stroker crank w/special rods and standard pistons? So aside from the cost difference of stroke crank vs. stroke pistons what pros/cons would there be with stroker pistons versus crank (other than the obvious strength of these forgings). Would you still go with the stroke piston route if you wanted to add a forged crank?
Thanks
The stock 350 crank is a 3" main with a 3.75" stroke. The 3" main 4" stroke crank is a stroker crank. The addition of .25" to the stroke along with the over bore of the cylinder nets the additional cubes. A stroker piston is just a piston that has had the pin height moved in order to accommodate the additional stroke and or rod length.

Karl