View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
Thanks to Steve and Keith for driving 700 miles twice in order to present the drag racing part of the 2013 Pontiac Heaven. I had a time racing my IEGTO buddies and then went out in the first round to 17 yr. old Cole Preston driving his father & son restored '67 Gold GTO . Young mister Cole went on to win the Trophy Class in his very first drag race .
It was good to see you Les and glad you attended and ran your GTO as well. For the record, the event was run by myself and long time friend, Pete Brennan who is my normal race director.
Keith rode out with friends on Saturday and we are also glad he attended. They elected to head back to Phoenix Sunday morning but, Pete and I decided to spend the day near the coast and enjoy the nice weather before heading back to 110 degree heat in Phoenix.

Pete and I were there Friday afternoon and ran the event both nights. Pete and I did get in some tourist time. It has been 25 years or so since I have visited the San Diego area so, we went to Balboa park, the model railroad museum on Saturday morning. On Sunday, we visited Point Loma

, spent a good part of the day on the carrier USS Midway after lucking out on a choice parking spot for my GTO.

This shot is taken on one of the port elevators on the Midway looking across San Diego bay at 2 current carriers- CV 70 Carl Vinson and CV 76 Ronald Reagan.

and we then took a harbor cruise and saw the naval and other ship yards, etc. Here is another view of the Midway from the water. Pete and I both walked out on those extensions on the bow of the carrier and it was kinda' creepy for me hanging out there that high off the water.

Pete and I got back to my place before midnight. we did not want to drive across the desert in the heat anyway. my '66 GTO was packed to the limit with event stuff but, had no issues with her other than 2 tires that the belts separated on the way there on Friday. I bought a new one at Pep boys in Santee and a used one in the same area. Pete and I have been friends for over 33 years and he helps me a lot at my local events, etc but, he has a wife and family so, it is rare that we get to travel together so, we crammed in as much stuff as we could.
I used to visit Sand Diego and other parts of the Ca coast, esp Orange county areas, a lot before I got into performance boating. Since then, I prefer going to the local lakes or the Colorado river but, it was still nice to get to the ocean for the day.

I will be posting a pic of 2 here from the race but, event results and more pics will be on the pontiacheaven.org website and facebook page.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 06-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.