View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Is Adrian sporting her original paint?
I'm not sure. At least not all of the car. Here's my take based on input from some members memories and studying the photographs:

The front bumper really looks like original paint. Mainly because of the black under the blue, no sign of primer or repaint.

The drivers fender has been changed to a '73+ as can be seen in the engine pic. The lower front valance is metal so that would have been changed and painted. The front spoiler holes (at least on the drivers side) have been filled. The radiator support is also from a '73 so she must have taken a blow from the side that preserved the front bumper somehow.

The hood may have been painted. The reason I say is one member here mentioned a story that the car was actually being test driven once with the hood on the roof and.... yes, that's how the hole in the rear spoiler came to be Visualizing that, I wouldn't think the hood would have survived unscathed in the condition in these pics.

On the other hand, if the hood needed rework, then you would think they would have patched the hole in the spoiler at the same time! Also, in my opinion, the stripes on the car were definitely GM product and appear original to the car. The stripes also have the right kind of wear for period correct originals as well. I have an original paint '72 TA hood with the stripes looking very similar to those in these pictures. Pictures taken in '98 show a lot of wear on the stripes, so it's hard to imagine a new set of stripes would have been put on between '72 and '98 and the second set would have worn to the look in these photos that soon. Finally, I have the one of the rear spoiler tips in hand, and I cannot find any sign of repaint on it. The paint is very light, no overspray, primer or sanding marks. The center spoiler shows the typical paint wear to the left of the Trans Am decal consistent with original paint.

Steve may be able to provide more information if this is original paint (with the drivers fender being the exception) based on what he discovered as he stripped the car. The body is currently in second blocked prime.

A couple of other interesting details in these engine compartment photos:
- Even though the radiator support has been changed, it looks like the original upper radiator hose is still in place. I recognize the yellow 489867 LU 'triangle' stamp because I make an exact reproduction of this label

- The alternator is the early open face type. I have always been of the notion that the '72's all got closed face and have never come across a dated alternator face any later than April '71 but there it is on a March '72 built car!

Steve, do you still have the original alternator?

Note: The last pic is my '72 original paint hood for comparing condition, not Adrian's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0002s.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	326873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0005s.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	326874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0014s.jpg
Views:	151