View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Senior Chief

I'd be willing to bet you will regret dumps before the axle unless if comes out the side of the car. You will have exhaust inside the car immediately and the drone would be intense. Done it on my 69 Camaro and it's just like the Bird. It really needs to go over the axle and out the back. I have used Flows all my life and I just like the chambered sound of them. I actually tried a different muffler recently that I like better called the 50 series "Big Block". They are the quietest muffler Flowmaster makes as they are designed for SUV's and trucks....it's a rather large muffler, but if you can fit it, it has one of the best sounds I've heard out of a muscle car. Fairly quiet but well more than loud enough to hear inside. I have them angled out pointing somewhat downward on my Camaro and strait out the back on the 69 GTO. Both of them you can hear the exhaust very well from inside the car with or without the windows down.....and no drone or exhaust inside the car! I agree about the 2-1/2" pipes. If it's a stock motor, then there is no need. Besides, I'm almost certain your manifolds aren't much bigger than 2-1/4 anyway. The only way to benefit from a larger pipe is AFTER the muffler. If you have a smaller pipe, it tends to give you a higher pitch raspy sound in the upper RPM's. If you go larger, it keeps the same sound throughout the RPM range...just so much better in my opinion.

Good luck with it!

~Joe

Build thread for my poppa ~~> CLICKY CLICKY