View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Senior Chief

Default Tuning a Tri-power

Hi guys. I know this subject has come up many times but hopefully I only need a few minor tips. Its a 65 421 Catalina with a tri-power. Newly built engine, bone stock (068 cam, OE points distributor, factory compression, etc.) Bought the carbs/intake completely restored. Not sure who actually restored them bet they look fantastic. Anyway, just got cam broken in and I have been tuning the carb. Timing is set at 34 degrees and dwell is at 30. I have it firing right up immediatley cold or hot, and it idles cold at 1600rpm and warm at 700-800rpm. I used a vacuum gauge while adjusting the mixture and the best vacuum reading is at about 18 inches with a steady needle. The idle quality is decent (not perfect) and I'm sure it still need a little tweeking. I have the front and rear carbs off and the intake blocked as well. The issue I have is mainly just coming off idle. The 7-800rpm idle is almost acceptable but at about 1100rpm it runs fairly rough thru about 1400rpm and then above that its smooth and sounds great. Even reving it off idle, there is no hesitation or bogging. Just runs rough from 1100-1400rpms +/- as I slowly creep the rpms up. Does it sound like more air/fuel tweeking needed, timing, vacuum leak? No matter what I do (advancing the timing, playing with the AF mix, etc it always does the same thing at the same RPM. I havent found any vacuum leaks. Just wondering what you might think about it. I just hope its not in the carb itself. I have not measured the idle bleeds yet. I hear alot about opening them up to around .038. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wrea3_98; 04-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.