View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Throughout your whole post Lynn you keep bringing up that "Ford Engineer" comment, but to hear Mike Leech, Engineers are lower than whale chit and don't know anything.

Very very few Pontiac Guys have stepped up to the RA-V Design Engine.

Totally agree that Heat is a very big issue with engine durability.

Tom Vaught
I really dont understand your comment, however, I think the Ford Engineering staffs were are always way ahead of their time and competition. (It is the President of Ford hired from Chevrolet who changed things.) I believe Ford today is still way ahead of the now existing Obama Motors. John Delorean, however expanded the 1955 Pontiac V8 into what we still know as a remarkable engine.

If you look at todays LS-1(which was also the designation for the RA-IV), and the LS-7, I think you will see like I do many Ford contributions and many from the old Pontiac designs.

If you want a small engine capable of good economy my 4.9 with boost is the way to go. I am going to do several Pontiac cars with this engine with as many OEM parts as possible. Thiis will be upgraded to 6 speed transmissions and a forged crank. I think we can do a 750HP engine that will get well over 20-25MPG in an older Pontiac chassis. Why buy a $30k car when a Catalina can do it?

We all think that Ed's 2200HP is virtually unusable in his car on the street. If I gave him my 455SD it would take him 4 years to hook that engine up in his car at 700HP close to what I do. Now what about 1000HP? Almost unmanagable especially on the street. It will take him years to maximize 2200HP. We are still learning in racing maximizing 700HP.

The cheapest way to get more HP than you can ever need on the street is a big cubic inch street engine normally aspirated. Turbo engines are nice, but they are way more expensive if you do them right. A good 455 block with RAV heads is more power than most street guys can deal with. My street engine I think with valve spring would do close to 900HP. Tony said the heads were flowing enough for 1000HP. This was a mild street port job with a stock intake. This would handle any of your 1000HP SC Mustangs. Of course the mustangs have better gas mileage, co se go the 4.9L route.

Me? I am building a 406 CID RAV with a 8.8 deck 10,000 RPM Screaming Demon with two 1150dominators and a sheet metal intake.

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486