View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I ask with reason: the Whine or worse yet squeal would be from the Belt mini-Vees bottoming-out on the Pulley Vees. That spells of a worm pulley in a Factory-match Vee-vee array. But This & That pulley with a belt should result in this & that Vee in the Pulley grooves.

Good news is MAYBE all the Manufactureres have standardized on their mini-Vee dimensions so Belt makers can do the same for all Big Car companies. I just don't know.
Very good point and great info. The two ford and one gm pulley all have the same depth. The VW is slightly deeper. I purchased a dayco w-drive belt as it is supposed to be designed to compensate for differences in pulley wear and alignment. The peaks of the belt do not bottom out on any of the valleys of the pulleys. The whining is actually really very quiet and didnt cause concern. I do hope it doesnt become an issue over time.

I do have to admit that I wasnt aware that the depth was different from each manufacturer until you pointed it out, so thank you. It was only coincidence that I bought the dayco.

After reading your post I took a closer look at the pulleys and did some searching online and found this.
http://www.daycow.com/daycow.nsf/Day...FQPe4AodFlsHNw
I hope everything works well. We will see after some miles and some loads on it.
I guess worst case I will have to find a replacement for the VW alternator pulley but that might be difficult.
We will see, I'm keepin my fingers crossed.