View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pt. 17 - One more hurdle

OK, I got everything fixed now but the tires. What to do? Well, do what worked last time. Go ask somebody. Find out what the quick cars are running. OK, they've got big tubs with 14 x 32's. Wow, there's no way to make em fit the Goat. Now, do some measuring. If I roll the top of the wheelwell opening a little I can make a 30" tall tire work. Look in the cat. The widest 30" tall tire is 13" wide. OK, let's do it. Then I look around for possible suspension mods. The SS Goats are running ladder bars, but that requires more $ and fabrication skills than I have. So what are the stocker boys using? Airbags with a little more air in the right bag. I can do that. E-Z to install. Now, that looks good on paper, but will it work? YES - Thank God! I can now make a full pass without spinning or breaking a tranny. But now I've spent most of the season trying to tame this monster. Now, I said all that to say this: If somebody would have told me all this before I tackled the monster, I coulda been racing all year and having fun instead of fighting this thang. That's why I wanta try to help anyone I can - so they can avoid my mistakes. You may think this is all just too dramatic. But I'll tell you, to me, it WAS dramatic at the time. No fun at all. But - life goes on.