View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Steve View Post
I always thought that apparently it was available, just nobody ordered one?
That's not what you said before:

"I can't believe the amount of options that could or couldn't be ordered for no apparent reason (...RAIV Formula)…" which is why I responded in the way that I did.

Quote:
I don't think I've seen any printed matter saying it was available though?
Well, 1970 was a funny year. It took forever to bring the RAIV to the F-bodies, presumably because they were trying to develop the SD RAIV. And then, when they did, they gave it the GTO's hp rating and not the scaled-back Firebird's rating. I did a quick search for ads and didn't have much luck but with one, which didn't even get into the RAIV for the T/A. (However, check this interesting ad out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jk1971/4057554663/)

Quote:
Re the 455 Judge, early brochure states 455 not available with The Judge, but history shows that at some point it was actually available. What prompted that change later in the model year?
I dunno. Bean counters? Dealer demand? Really, what's strange to me was that the 455 was not available on the Judge at the start of the model year, rather than the fact that it was introduced mid-year.

Quote:
Why could you only order black or sandlewood colored interiors with a bench seat in 70 GTO's yet other colour bench seats were available in the LeMans Sport?
While not on the up-and-up when it comes to interiors, perhaps it was because the LeMans Sport was of a different grade? Or that only a certain amount of configurations were available and, hence, the bench was the popular choice for the Sport while the buckets were the same for the GTO?

Quote:
In regards to a 400 4dr 4 spd, and if any 4 door looked like a candidate to be ordered as a factory 400, it is Dan and Dennis' car, what with the gauges and steering wheel.
Gauges and steering wheels are mutually exclusive from the engine and/or tranny. I've seen plenty of stick cars that didn't have tachs. I guess I don't see the connection?

Quote:
On the order form (for a LeMans Sport atleast) it states under Transmissions that the M20 is not available for 1bbl 6 cyl, 2bbl 400 and 4bbl 400, leaving the only available engine the 2bbl 350.
I haven't seen the order form, so I can't comment. But don't forget there also was an M21 tranny, although I would think if one was available, both would have been available.

Quote:
This is another example of weird option availability on the paperwork...why did they O.K. a 3spd 400, but not a 4 spd?
Maybe they felt only a column shifter would be appropriate for a 4-door? I don't put much stock in that, but just introducing something to think about.

Quote:
Maybe I've missed something somewhere, but has anyone seen a 400 4spd LeMans of any body style?
One member here has a GT-37 with that combo. And there are others out there too. The number floating around for all A-bodies save the GTO is less than 300.