Thread: Bench Seat?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know Bench Seat interiors could be had in later years as a standard Trim choice, not just in '67. Bench Seat Trim choices for the GTO were offered '68-'74 also.

In '64 & '65 for sure, you could order a Bench Seat interior in the Lemans (with or without GTO option).

Yes, the '64 & '65 Lemans included Bucket Seats as standard equipment.

Unlike the later years, there was no standard Bench Seat Trim choice on the Order Form.

You had to order it as a Special Equipment item by written request/instruction on the All Series Special Equipment Order Form. Once the order was entered, a "Memo" had to be written approving it (same as any other Special Equipment item instruction such as Special Paint requests).

This would have triggered the Option Code 592 ("normal" Special Equipment options that had their own Sales Codes did not trigger the 592.

It is unknown whether the '64/'65 Bench Seat requests were handled at N/C or carried a price tag. Never seen an original Window Sticker for one.

The '64 & '65 Bench Seat GTOs are interesting enough.

I believe the ones I've known about (2 '64s for sure, I think 1 '65) were auto trans, so column shift.

The Trim itself has never been quite clear to me. I think the evidence indicated they installed Tempest Custom all vinyl interior trim rather than making up a special Lemans style trim but for Bench Seat use. I think you could have any color that was available in the Tempest Custom.

Have never quite figured out how a floor shift was ordered in a Bench Seat car, but it was possible to get a floor shifted 3 or 4 speed trans with Bench Seat interior, the shifters were available. All 4 spds were floor shifted, the 3 spd is the paradox. So conceivably, there would have been Bench Seat '64s and '65s with floor shifters and 3 spd.

Tom, you might remember I was curious to learn more about Mike Cooper's car because I was hoping to learn how the 3 on the tree was coded, it is a KC car right? If you ever find out, let me know.

To me, the most fascinating Special Order written request that was approved/built that I've ever encountered was a '64 GTO that was approved for the "MEMO 805 USE STD TEMPEST HOOD" as noted on the Pontiac Plant Manifest record.