View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't been focused on the GTO as much as I should; have been working on other projects - rebuild 396 for 66 Chevelle SS, road race Javelin build, 66 Fairlane GT convt build, etc. Too many projects, not enough time.

Anyway, here's an update on recent progress and looking ahead to the next few months -

Darrell painted the frame (see below). It's in my garage now. I've cleaned all my suspension pieces/parts and have most of what I need. Darrel is working on the floor (patches) and trunk (replacement). Forgot to ask what's next, but will likely be replacing the quarters and tail panel.

Next steps -

Lots of blasting and painting of suspension components.

Rebuild rear; plan to stay with the 4.33 gear, but going with aftermarket axles and Detroit Eaton TrueTrac diff.

Need at least one very clean drum brake spindle; will probably see if I can find a pair. Same with steering knuckles; one is kind of beat up.

Need to figure out if I can buy reproduction drums that are exact matches for the factory front drums; car came with manual drums, but previous owner had swapped to disk brakes. I'm swapping back to manual drums.

Will buy aftermarket springs front and rear - my originals were quite tired.

Need to outfit control arms with new ball joints and bushings.

Looks like Inline Tube has a complete brake set for the rear - said to be concours correct and complete. Should be a lot easier than chasing down individual parts.

Here's a pic of the frame after Darrell painted it - very nice!

Thanks,

Scott