Thread: Tri-power issue
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Now i had this set up on my old motor which was the same except 6X heads and a 60919 cam...........now the cam is a roller 235-246 OF from sd and the alum heads.

You do NOT need a vacuum advance to cure this problem. The engine should idle as well as, or even better with the new cam, as it has less overlap and shorter seat timing than the 60919 cam, and the compression should be quite a bit higher with the smaller chamber heads.

I've used both of those cams in 455's with KRE heads. In my old engine at 10.5 to 1 compression, the 60919 cam idled around 11-12" vacuum with noticable lope.

My new engine is slightly higher compression, but idles at 13.5" vacuum, very smooth with slight hint of a "lope", it uses the same 236/245/112 cam you are using.

I use 10 degrees initial timing and no additional timing from the vacuum advance at idle with both engines.

I suspect here that you may have a fundamental problem someplace, vacuum leak, lifter too tight, bad plug wire, spark plug(s), etc.

I've used the 236/245/112 cam in lower compression 455's with aluminum and iron heads, and it idles fine. It does start to get a bit "aggressive" down around 9.5 to 1, but vacuum is still around 11-12" and idle is steady......Cliff
I suspect here that you may have a fundamental problem someplace, vacuum leak, lifter too tight, bad plug wire, spark plug(s), etc.

Cliff, and Dave, im sending you a pic of the center carb with this, im sure its just the garden varity of 2 bbl. I can replace the plugs & plug wires...........ive check all over for leaks using a propane torch, don"t know if this is a good thing or not, just didn"t want to start squirting starting fluid all over the place.

Would anything improve if i moved the intial up any , im at 12 now.........or would going back to 10 as Cliffs help .

I appreciate all the help im getting from you guys,

Rich

Last edited by gtorich; 12-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.