Thread: Tri-power issue
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich,

Back to basics here. We need to know what your engine wants and the only way to deduce this is to do a simple test. At idle, take you hand and slightly place it over the opening of the carb...Does the engine speed up or slow down? Also, do you have full control of the idle circuit with the screws? Can you kill the motor by turning the screws all of the way in? If not, you are still functioning on the transition circuit. It simply will not run worth a crap when running too far onto the transition circuit. Also, your idle ports maybe too small yet. I think i had my tri-power idle ports set at almost 0.090" Going larger is OK as long as you are smaller than the OD of the needle. You will still have control over the mixture going into the base of the carb. Get Doug Roe's book. He tells you what to drill these ports to based on the size of the needles.

Also, pull the plugs and take a look at them. You may have a fouled plug (or two or more) by now and that will make it run like garbage and it will point the finger at something else. All too much, running problems are blamed on something else when fixated on trying to solve a specific problem.

ALSO...Do not go bigger on the clusters. While you can fix them and re-drill them, not advised at this time.

Bob

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.