View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, that's right! Been too long ago since mine was together, I'm really starting to lose it.

Still figure my "compartment bag" was probably replaced at some point with the back window, so not original. Definitely different from what Don described.

The leading edge of mine is not attached to anything, is that the way it was originally installed then? My top is folded down into it so it is tough to study the thing, but you essentially are able to lift the leading edge and access the top motor and/or the trunk.

The '64 boot (as I've always known it) only has the snaps on the side panels, otherwise uses the clips that attach under the stainless moldings.

About 35 years ago, at a wrecking yard, I saw a '65 convert that was the same as my '64 except in the rear corners on each side, there was a snap on the molding. I always figured that was an improvement used for '65 as the '64 rear corners had nothing to hold the boot down, looked a little sloppy if the corners curled up.

Is that how all '65s are? Or was that perhaps a home made "fix"?

Speaking of boots, my first '64 had a dark blue interior. No boot in the car when I bought it. I snagged a black one in a wrecking yard, that worked for me back then ('70s), although I knew it was wrong, figured it looked better than no boot.

The car I have now has a black interior. Came with a brand new white repro boot. When I asked the Seller how come he bought a white boot, he said because the top was white. I was dismayed, but said nothing. I managed to buy what I believe is an original black boot a short time later from a guy, so I have a correct boot.