View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
Curious when you say Len checked you timing, did you mean he checked the firing order and ensured where the rotor was pointing was indeed #1 cylinder? I know the rotor can be pointed in any direction as long as the firing order is followed CCW but was curious what you meant. I'm learning myself.
Kyle:

There are several ways to set the timing correctly on a new motor. Karl and I followed the method given in the 1969 Pontiac service manual. On page 6.55 of the manual, figure 6 - 97 shows the correct dot to dot alignment for the timing gears (both dots are at the 12 o'clock position) to fire the number one cylinder.

If you turn to page 6E-19, figure 6E- 31 shows the distributor installed in the block and illustrates the correct location of the roter to fire the number one cylinder, assuming the dot alignment described above. If all is correct, the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should be indexed with the proper mark on the timing chain cover.

We also doublechecked other little things like making sure that the spark plug wires went to the right cylinders before attempting to fire the motor.