View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Here are some more things I noticed and wish to contribute here.

12.On your teardown pics and your comments. Just because there are some scratches on the skirts does not mean boring is required. Maybe, maybe not.

13. I see nothing about rear main installation? This is among the most important parts of assembly and youo pass over it. Curious as to why you would omit such an important part. I do not see where you even mention what type of seal you used? ??? There is the myth that all Pontiacs leak.

14. Your pic of the bearing show the dirt in them only shows they bearings did their job and contained the crud as they are designed to do. Nothing wrong there. This is normal in any engine with useage.
15.you also always want to inspect the ring lands when you do a tear down. This can show signs of detonation, etc. I would agree that most used cast pistons are junk after removing. However, if they were forgings, they could be used by someone else on a 421 build as it has the same stroke and pin height but, a slightly smaller bore.
16. You need to visably inspect the oil galleys that feed the lifters before any assembly. it is easy for crud to hide in there even after a thorough cleaning.
17. Align honing is rarely needed on a stock build. It does produce good profits for the machine shop but very rarely needed. Again, while doing a tear down, inspect for unusual main bearing wear and on the crank journals too. You could have saved some money there.
18. I would never have the machine shop put the oil plugs in the motor. that is the engine builders job and responsibility. That way you know for sure.
19. you do not mention or pay attention to what the machinst does in the rear main seal area.

What did he do there? That is not normally a place that needs attention. Are you referring to the align hone?

20. when inspecting the machine shops work on the piston/rod assemblies, look close inside the piston in the pin area for dirt. It easily collects there and is about impossible to remove. Also make sure the pins are properly lubed or you will be in serious trouble.
next, I like to use several plastic garbage bags to keep piston/rod assemblies, cranks, etc so they stay clean. it is a cheap way and works good.
21. always test fit the dip stick before final installation of the pan. If an a/c equipped car, be sure to include the extension in the test. This way you fill not be fighting your dip stick like others do.
22. You are always gambling when you have a shop assemble your heads. did they remember to install the o rings? how about installed height and tension? I like to assemble my own heads to make sure they are as i want them.

23. I agree with Cliff ( post #19 ), it is a smart idea to leave the valley off while setting the valves.

Steve
Hosting-
Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11