View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In direct comparisons, a spread bore carburetor shows a slight advantage over a square flange carburetor when used on a dual plane intake. This is simply because those intakes are designed for spread bore carburetors, and the throttle bores are well centered in the plenums.

On single plane intakes, the spread bore carburetor is at a similiar if not worse disadvantage, as they are poorly lined up with the square hole in the center of the intake. We have found in almost all cases, that a well blended spacer is required to get a q-jet to work correctly on a single plane intake.

The Torker I in particular, is the only single plane intake that was given any consideration to the q-jet. They have a "shelf" in them supposedly to help things out when they are topped with a spread bore carburetor. Specifically, something mentioned by Pete M. about fuel impingment (spelling?), nearly as I can remember.

Anyhow, the dyno testing we did with an untouched unit showed it to be down considerably on power everyplace, compared to my own iron intake......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),