View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Chief

hey folks, been gone awhile, doing life, you know how it goes...... just got laid off to half time, so, funds are at a minimum for play time, but i still have gas money for the ol' girl........

the car is running great, my new carbs are working out awesome, (still don't have any accurate mpg info yet, need to go on a long drive with someone to verify, as my speedo is off, and the only mpg information i had with my car was with someone elses speedo....)

i do notice that i am burning oil still, i have great compression, even in all holes, but it seems maybe the oil rings are not seated well yet? not sure, i may try the old pinch of borax(or whatever it is, i will find out...) in each hole, to scuff things up a bit. then, i will report on my findings.....

still haven't made it to the track, THIS year will be the year i do it, i promise! i have done some safe full throttle blasts on unoccupied roads, and this thing is nothing less than a pure beast. i am on half bald tires, (see burn out videos...), i will use my drag radials for the track, so that won't be an issue. but, on the street, she's a handful with street tires. fun nonetheless, and a whole lot of that!

the only issue i have encountered lately, is some hard starting, and a surging high idle at warm up. like a real thumper cam, vrrroooom, vrooooom, vroooom, vrooom, going from 800rpm to 1800rpm kind of surge. if i give it some gas, it will sputter like it's not firing on all cylinders, stay at a higher rpm, and eventually begin to hit on all of them, you can hear them kick in one at at time. after it warms up, runs like a champ, shakin' and bakin' at a sub 700rpm idle, love it!.....

i checked the plugs, a little fouled up, (need to go one step hotter for the street, to much low rpm driving in town...) so i cleaned and gapped them, checked the coil voltage, it seemed ok, no changes have been made to fuel settings on the carbs, so i am not really sure what is going on.

one thing that i never noticed, which is hard to believe, on the electric choke, there is a hole at the bottom of the casing, and i had a vacuum leak there. i do not remember it leaking there before, so i plugged it, and then i started to have problems. so, i may try unplugging that on the next fire up, and see if it changes anything. (the car is at my dads, and his at my house, as i am replacing the heater core and fixing a transmission leak in the '69 ram air III my uncle and i sold him....).

ok, thanks for all the help over time here folks, i will update as soon as i have some more info,

take care.......

davey

ps, a quick pic of the car out, and a self portrait of me and the ride, and the heart of it all.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goat in the fall.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	166683   Click image for larger version

Name:	me and the goat.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	166684   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto engine.jpg
Views:	125