View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I swapped the headers out today, no need to say it is a gazillion degrees and I have a 4 spd car so I had to drop linkage etc. My garage is under construction so I went to the auto hobby shop on base and had to pay $37.50 for use of the lift for the day. Now I have to drop another $40 to mail them to Pertronix.

The new driver's side header looked pretty good but still rubbed on the lower control arm so I had to persuade it with a pipe and pull in the collector. The pass side looks like crap, poorly finished ceramic and I think it will rust soon. I was tempted to not install it but being overseas means I have no option. Once on the car it was about 1/2" + higher than the old one and a good 1" to the outside. I had to dismantle the pipes and twist/bang them to get a fit. What fun, I love working on old exhaust pipes when it hot. All in all I spent about 8 hours doing the swap and quite frankly I don't feel real confident about the whole thing. I also noted the new gaskets were about half the thickness of the ones with he first set, interesting they would change the gasket. No leaks but for sure thinner and more flexible.

I want to say one thing about this thread. PY came through when Pertonix just stopped responding to my emails. I think that is what ticked me off more than anything, just poor customer service and not willing to meet me half way. I can only speculate as to what is going on but it sure seems coincidental that the company changed hands and things happened the way they did.

I will follow up in a few weeks after driving the car in the rain etc. and see what happens to the headers.

One other thing, the box was full of Korean newspaper packing from so cal. Strange.