View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Goodmark outer wheel wells dont fit worth a darn....will require alot of trial fitting and trimming etc. Plus make sure that before you weld up the quarter panel or the outer wheel houses that you screw or clamp the outer wheel house in place and then try to fit the quarter panel. You will most likely have to finaggle the outer wheel house around to get it to meet up with the quarter wheel well lip properly.

Also, dont weld anything until you have everything clamped in place (I used small sheet metal screws to hold my panels in place while fitting) and fitted properly. Fit the tail panel up to the quarters with the quarters clamped or screwed on. Everything will require alot of trial and error fitting and some trimming to get perfect....unless your lucky. The key is trial fit, take apart adjust, trial fit, trial fit trial fit until your satisfied.

I would replace the those trunk drop down pieces (these go behind the outer wheel well and inside the bottom back of the quarter dropping down from the trunk pan) while you have the quarters off....not saying yours are bad just that they are fairly cheap and will be nice to have em replaced if your replacing all the other stuff.

The inner wheel houses will have some rust between the inner wheel house and the shock tower panel/trunk panel (all the first gen camaros/firebirds do) most people just dont know its there unless its really bad. If you grind out the sealer that GM put down between the trunk pan and the inner wheel house (in the trunk compartment) you will most likely see that that whole seam there is full of rust. You'll notice this especially on the passenger side inner wheel house. The drivers side probably wont be as bad. If its bad you might want to replace the inner wheel house and the shock tower panel (the part of the trunk that the top of the shock bolts to) or you could cut off the lower section of the inner wheel house and fab a new lower section inner wheel house and weld it in along with replacing the shock tower panel.

I mention this because I just got done replacing my shock tower panels and lower inner wheel houses. I wish I would have noticed that seam was rusted while I was replacing my quarters and outer wheel houses. Would have been a much easier job with the quarters off. My car wasnt that rusty when I started the disaseembly but once you start opening it up and looking in all the nooks and crannies that GM left unprotected from the factory........you will find rust.

If you are going to have your car that far apart (quarters off, tail panel off, outer wheel houses off)....I would recommend replacing as much as you see feasible given your time constraints etc even if it is a only a little bit rusty. The sheetmetal is cheap as long as you have the time and patience to put it in. Like the trunk pan or the trunk side extensions and trunk drop downs.....if their rusty put new ones in now while you have that thing apart .....dont waste time trying to repair the rust if there is some there and its more than minor

The new tail panel weatherstrip gutter corners dont match up to the original side trunk gutter pieces...you'll have to do a bit of fabbing to get them perfect.

Your going to be doing alot of work and you will be much happier when its all done if you replaced as much rusty metal as possible.