View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default my .02 and welcome

I tend to think that the '71s and 2s are highly underrated cars. In my mind, they are quite special, because they can produce big torque and power on unleaded gas. In proper tune and mechanical condition, I feel these cars can run well with the earlier models.

And as others have said, the fed's simply mandated that Pointiac publish the HP and torque in gross/net starting in '71. So the seat of the pants and neck snap difference is negligible to me; but still apples and oranges. The 455HO is virtually the same motor as Ram-Air IV of 1970, the heads are just cc'd at 110 for the low 8.4:1 compression! And pro's pit it as the second fastest GTO motor produced!

I've not had the joy of riding in a pre-'71 car but imagine the ride would be about the same, honestly. Not too much difference in the motors really.

The build numbers go down considerably after 1970 for various sad reasons, so finding one you want to settle with may be more perplexing. Get some GTO books(there are many) and read of the history behind all this.

Whatever vintage you find, tune it drive it and love it. It's not a corperate machine like nowadays. They were all special. But i'm bias toward the low compression cars, because I don't have to shell out at the pump for high test and other additives.

Ask all of the questions you need to and,
Best of luck.

PHS yes before you buy! It's well worth the 35 bucks.