View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike
i'm real curious how you two guys think an engine will run when it's not firing on the correct cylinder cycle.

i'd love to run an engine on just air; teach me how; it ought be great for gas mileage.
This question from your experience is confusing. We learned along time ago an engine will start and run with the distributor 180 out. Here's the story: Approximately 1986

My buddy had the tranny rebuilt in his 1970 Tempest. 350/TH350 car. When we went to the AAMCO tranny shop to pick up the car, they started the car, pulled it around front, and we took off after paying the bill. Tony said man the car feels really weak! Also, every time you tried to rev the engine it would pop out the carb! After getting home, we called the shop and questioned them about the trouble? Apparently, it was their procedure to pull the distributors during R/R of the trannies and had mistakenly dropped the distributor in 180 out. After pulling the distributor and re-dropping 180 degrees we set the timing and all was well. No more popping! BUT it didn't make that much different in power as it was only a 350P w/2barrel carb! All the tuning in the world wouldn't have made it fast!

Yes the engine will start @180 out. Take an engine and try it sometime. JD