View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sixt8bird - the people who told you that 1.65 rockers on un-ported heads are a waste of time don't know what they're talking about. These are the same people that will turn around and tell you to run a hydraulic roller cam instead of a flat tappet cam. Why is a roller better than a flat cam? Because it opens the valves faster and further for the same seat duration. What happens when you put high ratio rockers on a flat tappet cam? LOL!!! And all this BS about friction reduction, give me a break. There is some reduction in friction with a roller, sure, but compared to the total friction generated everywhere in the engine it's so small as to be inconsequential for the vast majority of applications. Once again, the real world trumps theory. I'd bet good money that two engines built identically only one having a roller cam and one having a flat tappet cam that were designed to produce the same valve motions would see maybe a 1 or 2 HP difference between them due to friction reduction. Is that 1 or 2 HP really worth several hundred dollars?

I'm going to be buying a Tomahawk intake for my '73 'bird. I'll be curious to see whether it has the same problems that Fulper is bashing them for. Most other people who've bought them aren't seeing those problems. Even if it does have a few things that need attention, it will certainly be better than doing all the work an HSD intake requires.