Thread: student project
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

HI,
This is the continuation of a discussion I started on the 69 GTO thread.I'll try to bring you up to speed.
Last week my school bought a 1969 Lemans off of ebay for $850 to use as a student restoration project. Well, it certaoinly was far worse than advertized, and got worse as we tore it farther apart. We were going to make it into a judge clone, but now we are afraid we should just dismantle the car and hope to get our $850 back.
The problem is rust...all over the place. I cringed when we removed the trunk seal and the channel basically came off with it. Then when we removed the chrome plate at the bottom of the windsheild, there was a two inch canyon between the cowl and the dashboard, with both being reduced by 1" in each direction.Then we pulled the package tray and it holes in the base, as well as around the back window. The windshield channel is also rusted through in spots above the glass, as well as the lower pillar corners.
The car is an A/C car with a 350 and turbo 400. It has bucket seats, a floor shifter and console. The glass , with the exception of the windshield is in good shape. the back seat is almost perfect,all the chrome is good except for the bumpers. The rest of the interior needs replaced: dash, panels, seat covers,console, headliner, all of it. There is a crack in the frame just inside the rear tire well. the frame seems solid, the front fenders are straight, the q-panels are almost savable. The trunk lid is junk as is the hood.The doors aren't bad, just a few bubbles in the corners, perhaps reskinning would be in order.

But my concern, and what makes me think it is unsavable, is the cowl/dash issue and the trunkseal channel. Shall I try this? I was told there are guys on this thread that have tackled this before and can maybe help.
So I'll throw out the question. Should I attempt to fix this Lemans or cut my losses and sell the usable parts? Are there even the parts available to fix it?

Help me, goatmeisters, you're my only hope...