Thread: Oil leak
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2000, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike

I had the same problem, oil leaking between the rubber seal of the pan and the rear main cap. I had to pull the engine twice to fix it. This is how I solved the problem. I got a small pair of vice grips and carefully bent a small lip along the radius on the rear of the pan. By the way this pan is the one that uses the rubber seal with the three **** that go thru the holes in the pan. The newer design had five ****. On the seal I trim off the rubber part that the two rear bolts would go thru. I then glue the rubber seal to the pan using Ultra Blue and then place the pan on the block and tighten the rear four bolts with a light torque. Make sure there is no silicone on the outside of the seal or you won't be able to remove the pan without disturbing the seal. I then let it set up at least 24 hours. Then after that has set up I remove the pan and install the pan gasket and use a small amount of Ultra Blue on the rubber seal with a little extra where the rubber part meets the pan gasket. After the pan is in place and torqued down I fill the gap at the back of the pan between the rear main cap and the pan completely in with Ultra Blue silicone. The flywheel has to be off to do this. Then I allow a few days to allow it to set up completely before adding oil and start up. This method worked good for me.

Tim Corcoran