View Single Post
Old 12-27-1999, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 400 is dead Im afraid. I Finished tearing it apart today. I had other problems that had not matured. I had scrathes on two cylinders from stuck or broken rings I don't know but since the block is .060 over its done I guess. I will set it aside for extreme hard times like when pontiacs are goen from the market and sleeving is the only choice on a rebuild. I am investigating
455 rebuilds now or a rebuilt shortblock for 900 bucks from my local parts store. I am incuraged by the machine shop though he quoted me 475 labor to bore/hone,grind/polish crank check for cracks/ rebuild rods and shotpeen/ magnaflux, Balance and press pistons to rods. It was cheaper than I first thought he would be so I might be able to afford to rebuild the thing Right !!! He also said he woul ddo a set of heads for 165 new guides and seats ground. so I might pull my 96 heads out from under the bench if I can scrap up th ecash that would cover the compression issue ! They will need new valves though ! oh I have crane 99840-16 springs now 1.57 installed at 90lbs and 1.100 open at 280 coil bind at .935 . can I go higher than .470 coil bind is at about .6

[This message has been edited by 77TA (edited 12-28-1999).]