View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 06:46 PM

Bermuda Blue, thanks for your kind words about me. Please let this idiot teach you a little something about the W72 400-cid engines. And no I do not spew bad information or as you say garbage in publications. I have probably researched and collected more factory information on the W72 engine than you will have time to try to learn in your lifetime. I am one of the leading authorities regarding factual information on the 1977-79 W72 engines and I have never misled anyone or intentionally released any untrue information about these engines. In the past too much bad information surrounded the W72 and through my detailed research I have been able to uncover many once unknown and have corrected all misstated facts that have been carelessly quoted from one publication to another and one book to another and so on. There have been so many misquoted facts surrounding the W72 engine on all websites they are too numerous to mention.

According to my “Factory Engineering Engine Booklet” that was once belonged to known Pontiac Engineer, I can share with you and the others who have commented on this subject that 1977 W72 400-cid engines codes Y6 and WA produced prior to 9/28/76 or engine number 90,568 have solid main cap dowel pins. Those 1977 W72 engines produced after that date and engine number have split sprung roll pin dowel. All base 1977-78 L78 400-cids used solid dowel pins. So in less the others who have commented about their engines have W72 engines that were never rebuilt and who were the first to rebuild them it is quite possible the pins may have been replaced with solid dowels. GM discontinued the sprung roll pins in 1987. No they are not special. The word “special” was added by the Editor. Rocky has explained very well on why they were used. In fact a very well know Pontiac engine builder who has been in the business for about 40 years knew about these sprung roll dowel pins and why the factory used them on the W72 engine. I can share with you that I have talked to people with 1978 real W72 engines prior to first rebuild that have had both solid and sprung dowel pins on the main bearing caps. Did the engine plant run short on the sprung dowel pins for some of the 1978 engines? This is unknown and may be never known without examining every 1978 W72 engine.

I understand that information in publications can be misquoted at no intentional fault of whomever, but those who have no apparent expertise on the subject they are quoting from should refrain from calling others idiots.

John Witzke
Member Society of Automotive Historians
POCI Tech Advisor
1977-79 W72 Performance Package Historian.

[This message was edited by John Witzke on February 22, 2004 at 08:56 PM.]